Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Grounded!

So I am home tonight for the first time in a few days. I always get "grounded" when the weather turns off bad. Anytime there's a threat of frozen precipitation, my dad insists I pack up a few days worth of work clothes and the kid's stuff and stay with them.

My boy packed his own bag--- the clothes I laid on his bed for him to pack were still laying there when I told him to get ready to go. He had chosen the biggest backpack in the house (and as a girl with a bag fetish, we have plenty to choose from) and he had packed ALL TOYS. Star Wars, Pokemon, DS games, you name it. It was in the bag.

And I say I'm told to pack "work clothes" because no matter HOW BAD the weather is, my dad will make DARN SURE I get to work.

Grrrr.

Monday afternoon, my evening class was cancelled. I was thrilled since it's Accounting and I wasn't really prepared anyway. I went to my sister's across the street and had coffee and whipped her at Uno. Ha! Yeah, I whipped her, I'm the CHAMP! The weather didn't do much here in Fort Smith, although our neighbors to the north were getting hammered by ice. Power outages and wrecks every where. I almost felt kinda guilty sitting in a nice warm house while I knew thousands of people just 45 miles from me didn't have power. Yesterday, it was just rainy here. But I knew it could get so much worse. We stayed at Mom and Dad's again, because the roads were definitely going to be slick this morning. And they were.

Lucky for me, Dad has a brand new 2009 Chevy with "Traction Control". I have heard from friends with sporty little cars that this thing called Traction Control doesn't work. WELL, my dad would beg to differ: he was like a kid in a candy store every time the light on the dash said it was on. I think he would have happily chauffeured all of Fort Smith to school and work just to see that light come on.

There wasn't much snow and the ice wasn't too thick, but it was enough. No school. Tons of folks called in to work. Shoppers weren't out till the afternoon, so the morning hours were pretty easy at work. My boy enjoyed his two days off from school. I know I enjoyed not having to go to Accounting all week! But, I'm sure it's back to the grind tomorrow.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment